Sunday, January 30, 2011

BIRD ALERT

As I was in Home Depot the other day, I saw some interesting, different suet. It was in the form of a very small cube, about the size of a pea that goes into a metal feeder which I had at home. I knew that the American Goldfinches for sure wouldn't be crazy about it and the others either. But since I had the feeder and the suet's ingredients were different than the ones I make myself, I thought I'd give it a try.

I inserted only about half of the suet into the metal feeder, hung it up and the Goldfinches were interested in it, but not enough for them to eat it continually. I was disappointed, but low and behold, out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw the Bewicks Wren fly on the feeder and take a piece and quickly fly away. At first I thought it was a Hummingbird because of the long beak and their feeder is hung right next to it, but I thought the body seemed too big to be a Hummingbird.

We've had a bit of rain, so I put the suet feeder in the corner of my patio that doesn't get too wet on the deck under the Sunflower seed tray which is on a plant table. And today, again, the Bewicks Wren found the new location of the suet holder very quickly. It may be the Wren which had left maybe a week or so ago. I don't know if it's the same one, but he did know the different locations of the various foods I offer, so I believe it maybe the same one. He doesn't frequent either feeder very often like before. Maybe he/she has a family he/she has to provide for and that's where she's been all this time...mating/hatching and now providing for the little ones. It sure is a strange time to have little ones though. I thought only in the Spring to Fall birds bring newbies into the world.

Oh well, it is strange though that this Wren doesn't go for the Sunflower pieces first and devour them like he used to.

No comments: