Thursday, August 5, 2010

MONDAY MORNING’S WALK AND A SAD CUP OF COFFEE

This past Monday I finally found out where the real Wal-Mart walk of the El Dorado Trail was.  Rainelle, her two friends and I did it in about an hour at a little faster than a stroll.  The path was quite crowded with walkers, walkers and their dogs, and people riding their bikes.  I really much prefer my sections of the trail near where I live.  It’s much more in the wilderness with not so many people. 

After the walk, Rainelle and I went to McDonalds for a Senior Coffee.  $.68.  What a deal.  Unfortunately our orders were taken by a very attractive girl dressed in a short sleeved top missing both of her arms but for little fingers flopping around her shoulders.  I was shocked and saddened at the same time.  I did not stare directly at them, but as I placed my $.68 cents on the counter, I wondered how she was going to pick up the coins.  Through the corner of my eye, I saw her bend down to the counter and either pick them up with her fingers or she just swept them with her fingers into the drawer or dish.  I couldn’t really tell you exactly what happened after her bending down, I just wanted to get my cup out of there and get my coffee for fear I was going to start crying.

Now, I’m all for employing the disabled, but I believe McDonalds went a bit too far.  I don’t believe people want to see this, especially before eating and/or drinking.  I guess I’m just not used to seeing this.  It upset me before I actually sat down with my friend to enjoy our coffee.  We both didn’t say anything about it, but I’m sure it affected my friend as much as me.

No comments: