Saturday, July 17, 2010

MY NEW CELL PHONE HAS ARRIVED!

Yesterday about 1:00 PM my new cell phone arrived by UPS.  I heard a thump on my front door deck and went to see that maybe it was being delivered, albeit a week early.  Yes, for some reason they shipped it express mail.

I quickly snatched it up and brought it inside to see maybe, just maybe, I could get it going by my wildflower trip today. 

I was surprised to see how small it was.  Maybe a bit too small.  It was almost too slippery to hold because of the sleek, black body it was in.

The instructions said to charge the batteries up about five hours before making any calls, so that’s what I did.  However, while handling this sleek, slippery case, my fingers slipped and somehow switched the phone from English to Spanish.  Oh no!  How do I get this little gem to speak English once again?  I called their help line…twice.  Both times I got a girl who didn’t know how to fix it and was going to transfer me over to someone who spoke Spanish to help me.  That was the first time I got cut off.  The second girl I talked to said she was going to find out how to bring back the phone to the original settings.  She talked to her supervisor, came back on line and had me try something; and when that didn’t work, I was cut off.  When I called back a third time, the help center was closed.  The literature said it was a 24/7 help line.  Cut backs, cut off.  The name of today’s game is cut.

Well, at least I did get activated and about 9:15 PM I made a call to a friend in Southern CA to let him know I have a cell phone and the new phone number.  He is a neighbor who is watching my ranch in Southern CA, so if the place catches on fire, gets broken into or some other crazy thing happens to that place, he’ll be sure to let me know.  We talked for twenty minutes.  This little phone sure is neat, even speaking Spanish.  I took it on my wildflower hike today, but, there was no service at 9,000 feet up.  Dugh.  But I took some photos with the camera.  I also took Genie with me (my new GPS).  She got me to Kirkwood with no problems and back home again.

While we were having lunch at this great wonderland of wildflowers throughout the hike, sitting at a lake with reflections of the snow patches that haven’t melted yet, I took Genie out from my backpack, fired her up and she let me know exactly the latitude, longitude, altitude and what the nearest cross street was…somewhere near the Pacific Crest trail in Markelsville.  How amazing she really is.  We all started talking about how great all of this new technology is and what we ever did without it…especially e-mail.

Tomorrow I’ll try again to call customer service to get my phone speaking English again.  I went on-line to download a PDF of everything this phone does.  I tried what it said to do to change the language several times, but it didn’t work and that’s why I had called customer service.

The phone has a little leather case which you can put on a belt, pocket, purse or any other place you want.  This phone is no larger than 1" X 3" and it’s slippery as a fish.  The battery is supposed to be good for seven hours at a time.  There’s a battery charger also in with the package.  Of course, I got my 1000 minutes, 1,020 minutes were included.  They gave 20 minutes extra for setting up the phone, but I really didn’t need the 20 minutes.  I’ve got 990 minutes left after speaking to my friend.  Not bad.  The sound that comes out of this little gem is amazing.  My friend’s voice sounded so solid.  Really better than my land line phone which made him sound tinny.  After I use the cell phone and get to know it a little better, I should be able to link its Bluetooth to Genie’s Bluetooth.

I’ve got a few more people to call to let them know of my new phone and number.  This new number is gold because not only do those minutes disappear when I call somebody, but they also disappear when somebody calls me.  So it’s kind of an emergency phone of sorts.

I took over 350 photos of the vast amount of flowers we saw today.  Each flower we saw was written down and counted.  There were 103 entries.  I just went through the photos I took, deleted a bunch and will be on my way editing them by tomorrow.  You’ll see what a wonderful National Geographic scenic area we climbed to.  It amazed me to be wandering through wildflowers everywhere.  Landscape designers couldn’t do a better job, even though they try and replicate the scenes and groups of flowers nature does naturally.

Wondrous, wonderful wildflowers.

No comments: