Thursday, November 25, 2010

A NEW RESIDENT THIS WINTER

All of my winter bird residents are here, plus one. It's a Bewick's Wren and at first, I didn't think I knew what it was. He's enjoying the peanut pieces like the other Junco's, Goldfinches, House Finches (they'll eat practically anything), Steller and Scrub Jays. He also is enjoying the suet, along with the Jays. The Juncos and Goldfinch don't want it, but the Juncos will eat the millet and the others don't.

So far, as I can tell, there's only one. My bird book says they are pretty solitairy. He even moves and flits around faster than the Goldfinches. He's really a cute little bird which I have photos of and will post as soon as I get them into the editor. I took the photos through the window, since I knew he'd flit away upon me trying to open my patio door where the bird feeders are, and besides, it has been very cold here, especially in the early mornings when they all come to feed. It's been in the 20 and 30 degrees in the mornings, but warm to sunny 50s.

We've had quite a bit of rain this past week and just a dustying of snow which melted only hours later. Further up the hill, however, towards Tahoe, they got a bunch of snow, electrical outages and accidents galore.

No comments: